Earn Your Kindness Challenge Badge Today – At Home!
During these challenging times we think kindness is more important than ever, People United’s Kindness Challenge badge is all about being kind and it has been active since 2013. We are delighted to say that we have temporarily updated our syllabus so that Girlguides can achieve People United’s Kindness Challenge Badge at home!
About the Kindness Challenge Badge
People United developed a kindness challenge badge for Girlguiding trialling our ideas with two brownie and guide groups – Hampton Guides and the 1st Shorncliffe Gurkha Brownies and Guides. The badge is suitable for all Rainbows, Brownies, Guides and Leaders. The kindness challenge badge is about being kind to others, and encourages them to think about how being kind can:
- Spread a bit of happiness
- Remind us all about the benefits of kindness
- Inspire even more kindness
- Bring people together
Taking part in the challenge requires participants to undertake a series of creative tasks from each of the section headings: sharing kindness; global kindness; discovering kindness; and a reflection section. Each section encourages the girls to think about their behaviours and actions towards those in and outside of their community. Part of the challenge includes a kindness pledge to promise to be kind in the future.
The challenge badge incorporates the mediators from our Arts and Kindness paper. It encourages connections (e.g. sending thank-you notes and keeping in touch with your friends), learning (e.g. researching role models who demonstrate pro-social behaviour), empathy (e.g. finding out about a charity and the people they help), and values (e.g. reflect on why doing kind things might be important to them).
Using ideas sent to us by The Hampton Guides, and 1st Shorncliffe Gurkha Brownies and Guides, our badge was designed by Kent-based children’s book illustrator, Kate Willis-Crowley and has been incoporated into a digital file for the temporary syllabus.
How to earn your badge at home
- Download the new temporary syllabus, take part in each of the kindness challenges and record your activities. (From the downloads menu on this page).
- Once you have completed the Kindness Challenge Badge please email a completed order form to [email protected]
- We’d love to see what you get up to so please tag us on social media by searching for ‘People United’ or you can send us information or images when you request your badge by email (this is optional).
- 4th Ramsgate West Rainbows & Brownies create short films about kindness
- Developing the badge with 1st Shorncliffe Gurkha Brownies & Hampton Guides
- Check out People United’s other resources to support your Kindness Challenges including; ‘be kind’ posters, be kind zine, schools hub and more.