People United and Jasmin Vardimon Company commissioned artist and director R.M. Sanchez-Camus and musician and composer / songwriter Isa Suarez to explore courage with local people from Ashford.
Working with community groups and local individuals, the artists devised performances and composed music and song for a live promenade event. Seek Courage was made up of a series of mini-performances and sound installations across Ashford Town Centre on Saturday 1st August 2015. Stories of courage from local people were turned into micro-moments of encounter on the streets with puppetry, music, singing, dance and circus.
Audience members were invited to collect a special map to enable them to discover the performances in hidden spaces all around the town centre. Others saw the performances by chance as they went about their Saturday shopping.
The commission particularly focused on working with local groups and performers and celebrated home grown talent. Along with live music, puppetry and street theatre members of the public arrived at the different performance sites to find:
• Singers from the Revelation St Mary’s choir singing a newly composed piece of work by Isa
• Singers from St Mary’s Church choir, Ashford, joined by fellow singers from churches in the Ashford area with Roger Marvin: St Mary’s Director of Music
• Skate boarders from Sk8side Youth Centre did tricks with messages written on their boards about obstacles they have overcome
• Aerialists from The Pole Angels
• Young performers and songwriters from Ashford
We would like to thank all the performers, the volunteer stewards, Jasmin Vardimon Company and the artists Isa and Marcelo for creating a very special and unique event.